Oatmeal cookie dough power ball bitesAugust 26, 2016
Breakfast Grain Bowls: Fuel Your Family for an Active DayDecember 21, 2016
Blueberry breakfast rice bowl
Author: Energize Nutrition
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, whole
- 5 cardamom pods, whole (or 1 tsp candamom spice)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 1½ cups B.C. blueberries, fresh or frozen (and thawed)
- 1 tbsp flax seed, ground
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a medium pot, bring water, milk and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add the rice, chia seeds and cardamom pods. The cardamom flavor will infuse into the rice during the cooking process. Bring to a boil, stir, cover with a lid, then simmer over low heat for 40 minutes or until rice is cooked (or according to the package’s instructions). Remove the cardamom pods.
- Add the maple syrup, ground cinnamon and milk, heat and stir until warmed.
- Serve this breakfast rice bowl warm topped with blueberries, flax, hemp hearts, walnuts and coconut.
- If you need to make this breakfast rice bowl nut free, omit the nuts. If you need to make this dairy free, substitute with unsweetened and fortified soy or almond milk beverage, or milk of choice.
- For this recipe and other fabulous ways to add in blueberries to your breakfast, check out the BC Blueberry Council's Website