Simple Sautéed Bananas in an Orange Sauce December 21, 2016
Fresh Mediterranean Kitchen Sink SaladDecember 21, 2016
Looking for a simple, healthful recipe that your kids will gobble up? As we enter into the final stages of the school year, I wanted to share this muffin recipe that my kids love! I routinely make a big batch of mini-muffins with this recipe and freeze for easy additions to my kids lunch and snackbox.
The pineapple and apple contribute to a moist muffin that taste like little cakes, while also having the added nourishment of carrots, cinnamon and whole grain whole wheat flour.
Carrot Pineapple Sunshine Muffins
Author: Energize Nutrition
- 1 cup whole grain whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or gingerbread spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 14 ounce can of crushed pineapple, drained (save the juice for a smoothie )
- 1 cup of grated carrot
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tart apple, diced (with skin on)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Measure 6 dry ingredients into large bowl (flour through to the salt). Make a well in center.
- Combine the 6 wet ingredients into a separate bowl. Add to the dry ingredients (eggs through to the vanilla). Stir until JUST moistened.
- Fold in apple and coconut.
- Lightly mist mini-muffin tins with vegetable oil spray. Fill mini-muffin tins ⅔rds full.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 9-10 minutes.
- These are delicious moist muffins that are perfect for lunch box treats. Pair with a glass of milk for a satisfying snack.